Leadership opportunities at Sunnybrook are rich and varied for our older students. As they mature and develop confidence in their abilities they are able to take on a variety of roles in the school. Younger students benefit from mentoring by older peers as much as the senior students enjoy being role models.
Students can take on leadership roles in a variety of situations at SBS. Whether it is in in Eco Club, at our annual musical, leading assemblies, giving tours, on sports teams or in the learning studio, we ensure that students at SBS feel safe and confident in taking leadership in the areas in which they feel confident. Over time they have increasing opportunities to develop their leadership skills and dispositions, until in their graduating year they take on the role of House Heads, as well as more significant roles in the musical.
The senior years at Sunnybrook School allow our students to be the ‘big kids in a small school,’ an experience that most likely won’t be repeated again until they reach grade 12. At Sunnybrook, our grade 6’s have many opportunities to shine in leadership roles, for example:
- The PYP Exhibition offers them the opportunity to celebrate their learning experience across the IB Primary Years Programme
- They serve as House Heads and lead all assemblies
- They participate in the musical at a level that showcases the abilities and skills they have learned throughout their time at Sunnybrook
- They serve as ambassadors of the school, and guide tours for interested new families
- They help out with various aspects of school activities, taking responsibility for school life in various ways, such as leading assemblies, Arts Studio set-up and IT, prepping for events
- Their final outstanding moment is the Grade 6 Graduation, where each graduate gives a speech.
Over the years we have seen many students grow to be strong leaders both with their own peers and the younger students. Our graduating class is grade six which allows our students to be leaders at a young age. Since they are the oldest in the school, these skills are being explicitly developed to prepare them for Grade 7 in a bigger school. This is one of the strengths of the Sunnybrook experience for all our students.